Over the years I have done some automated trading using MultiCharts, Quantopian, and TradeStation. I just started with QuantConnect this week, and as a test cloned a strategy from the forum and had it live trade in my IB account, but I have not created a strategy from scratch yet. I already have my own server where I use a Python notebook to generate trading signals using machine learning, and I have my own custom built backtesting system. But, I don't have a live trading module for it so I am not making any trades.

I could move my Python notebook to QuantConnect, but it uses some machine learning libraries QuantConnect does not use, and also all of my indicators are different than QuantConnect (I use TA-Lib plus a some custom built indicators). So one option would be for me to use a custom feed to import my trading signals, and use Quantopian only for executing the trades. I would trade every 30 minutes, where it enters the trade based on the signal (using a market order) and then exits after 30 minutes. No stop loss or other exit strategy.  

My machine learning algorithm forecasts the best and worst stock from the Dow30 each half hour, and buys the one it thinks will go up and sells short an equal dollar amount of the one it thinks will go down, so overall the strategy is market neutral. I know I could just have add live trading to my existing server using the IB Python API or Backtrader, but there are too many potential problems that could come up. I like how clean and simple the QuantConnect interface is.

What is the best way for me to do this with QuantConnect?

Author