Back

Getting really tired of how slow QC is ...

Hi, 

I have a 219 lines Python algo that is really simply. But when I run it, sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds (which I think is very long) just to analyze the code. And some other times (too often), I end up with this:

And this is only the tip of the iceberg as I often end up having to wait 700+ seconds

Why ? This is getting horribly long just to code an algo especially in a context where I have to pull a universe dynamiclly and this function is not available in the research environment. Consequently, I end up having to develop with the algo tab.

I've tried with multiple other algos and inevitably end up in this situation which makes me think this is probably not in the code...

Any help or comment with be greatly appreciated,

Thanks !

Update Backtest

For 3 hours yesterday AWS ran out of nodes yesterday causing a delay in

backtesting spin up. We made production changes to spin up c5 4xls to

compensate which worked

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

There seems to be an issue in the last hour or so. I was playing with one algo earlier and all was fine, now same algo takes forever. I've just tried with the default "Basic Template Algorithm". Definetely something wrong that has nothing to do with Python. Perhaps same issue with AWS experienced yesterday.

Alex: Thanks so much !

There's a difference between speed of running, and the launch time. The clock times the launch time of the algorithm which is dependent on the cloud availability. The speed of running is 10x faster in C#. We're working on porting LEAN to C++ to make it naitive python which should improve the speed of running 300-400%.

The AWS nodes shortage struck again this morning but our automated SMS system didn't alert us. We'll investigate why we weren't alerted and let you know. 

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Thx for the explanation. 

Working again!

Yes, thanks indeed Jared !

Can't wait for LEAN to be ported to C++ !

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed