Back

IRA account trading in IB allowed?

I hope there's no restriction in algo based strategy execution in IRA accounts for stocks options and futures in IB, is there?
Update Backtest

If I recall correctly you're not allowed to hold short positions in an IRA

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Agreed for equities (confirming with them on futures), but are algo driven trades allowed?

Firstly, yes, secondly, I don't believe brokerages have any means of determining whether or not the trades are algo driven or not, we log into the account using your credentials :D

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Well, Michael I would think they can - e.g they expose an API to us, and we can use this API, but in their plarform they use a wrapper around it which sets an additional flag (that we dont see).
Or another example: the moment we connect to their site and open a socket the handshake protocol will tell them if this is from their platform or from another platform.

I recall some years ago (dont remember broker name) but I requested access to their API and I was asked to fill out some forms (and nothing happened). I guess things change lately though...

@nik - indeed you're correct, brokerages can do lots of things considering it's their API. Although, I suppose it's really only indicative of not being executed from their platform. There are third party click and trade platforms that use they APIs and aren't algorithm driven.

Anyway, long story short, IRAs have no rules against algorithmic trading (that I'm aware of). The main rule people need to be conscious of is the no short rule, although I think you're allowed to sell call options.

Thanks Nik and Michael!

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed