Hi, I've been receiving logs like this in my backtests: Data for symbol METX has been limited due to numerical precision issues in the factor file. The starting date has been set to 3/30/2020. This appears for nearly all the securities in the selection.

My agorithm is basically a copy from the Micro-cap growth strategy from What Works on Wall Street. It filters first by market cap, then by Price-to-Sales Ratio, then arranges the selection in descending order of one-year Rate-of-Return (not the exact formula but it does the job) of the stock. I think the problem lies in a lack of fundamental data, and I would like to exclude all securities that do not have fundamental data updated in the last 3 months.

I think someone has already mentioned this issue before in a different context:

https://www.quantconnect.com/forum/discussion/7682/remove-securities-that-don-039-t-have-current-data/p1

However, the solution given was to just wait till the next data point arrives. Jusging from the starting dates that was set for my selection, this would probably take months which would be an impractical waiting time, so I was wondering if someone has a workaround to suggest. Thanks a lot! Below is the code.

P.S. in the final state of things, "TOPS" somehow had an adjusted price increase by more than 2970 times, and I'm not sure how that even happened :p I'm just ignoring that for now.

from QuantConnect.Data.UniverseSelection import * import math import numpy as np import pandas as pd import scipy as sp class MicroGrowth(QCAlgorithm): def Initialize(self): #self.SetStartDate(2020, 2, 12) # Set Start Date self.SetStartDate(2020, 2, 28) self.SetEndDate(2021, 3, 1) self.SetCash(100000) # Set Strategy Cash self.UniverseSettings.Resolution = Resolution.Daily self.AddUniverse(self.CoarseSelectionFunction, self.FineSelectionFunction) self.lastmonth = -1 self.monthinterval = 3 self.Symbols = None def OnData(self, data): '''OnData event is the primary entry point for your algorithm. Each new data point will be pumped in here. Arguments: data: Slice object keyed by symbol containing the stock data ''' def CoarseSelectionFunction(self,coarse): if self.lastmonth == -1 or ((self.Time.month-self.lastmonth) % self.monthinterval == 0 and self.Time.month != self.lastmonth): self.lastmonth = self.Time.month return [x.Symbol for x in coarse if x.HasFundamentalData] else: return Universe.Unchanged def FineSelectionFunction(self,fine): #momo_dict = {} momo_list = [] MKTCAP_dict = {} #exclude delisted excluded_delisted = [i for i in fine if isinstance(i.SecurityReference.DelistingDate.date(),datetime) == False] #filter by mkt_cap for i in fine: if isinstance(i.MarketCap,(float,int)) and i.MarketCap != 0: MKTCAP_dict[i]=i.MarketCap microcap = [i for i in excluded_delisted if isinstance(MKTCAP_dict.get(i),(int,float)) and MKTCAP_dict.get(i)>25e6 and MKTCAP_dict.get(i)<250e6] #filter by Price-to-Sales Ratio < 1 (defined to be null if result <= 0) micro_PSR = [i for i in microcap if isinstance(i.ValuationRatios.PSRatio,(float,int)) and i.ValuationRatios.PSRatio < 1 and i.ValuationRatios.PSRatio > 0] #sorting by momentum hist = self.History([i.Symbol for i in micro_PSR], 365, Resolution.Daily) for i in micro_PSR: curr_price = hist.loc[str(i.Symbol)]['close'][-1] baseline_price = hist.loc[str(i.Symbol)]['close'][0] if i.Symbol.Value == "TOPS": self.Log(f'CURRENT PRICE: {curr_price}, BASELINE PRICE: {baseline_price}') momo = curr_price/baseline_price momo_list.append(momo) #momo_dict[i] = momo micro_PSR_symbols = [f.Symbol.Value for f in micro_PSR] MKTCAP_list = ["{:e}".format(f.MarketCap) for f in micro_PSR] PSR_list = [f.ValuationRatios.PSRatio for f in micro_PSR] momo_zip = list(zip(micro_PSR, micro_PSR_symbols, MKTCAP_list, PSR_list, momo_list)) micro_PSR_momo = sorted(momo_zip,key = lambda i: i[-1], reverse = True) output = [f[0].Symbol for f in micro_PSR_momo[:50]] self.Symbols = [f[1] for f in micro_PSR_momo[:50]] self.Log(f'CURRENT STATE: {[f[1:] for f in micro_PSR_momo[:50]]}') return output def OnSecuritiesChanged(self, changes): # selected symbols will be found in Log self.Log(f'New Securities Added: {[security.Symbol.Value for security in changes.AddedSecurities]}') self.Log(f'Securities Removed{[security.Symbol.Value for security in changes.RemovedSecurities]}') #self.Log(f'CURRENT STATE: {self.Symbols}')

Author