Back

Where to start?

I'm new to programming and to C#. I spent the last week going through the MVA C# videos and practiced it interactively on a few sites but I'm still overwhelmed when ti comes to the API. I know exactly what I want my algorithm to do but where can I find all the classes, properties and methods I can call?

For example, if I want the top 10% of stocks by relative volume, where in the documentation should I look? I see some sample algorithms on github but it's not the comprehensive source I'm looking for. I'm hoping there is something close to msndn where everything is laid out clearly.
Update Backtest

Hi Dennis, welcome!

There are a bunch of resources available to you here to help you get a good grasp on the QC universe. My personal order of preference is:

1.) Read through the documentation top to bottom to get a good grasp of QC's capabilities. This is not the end-all, be-all, as sometimes features are released before documentation is updated (they're generally pretty good about making sure its all synced up though).
2.) After that, proceed to the QC University and look through some of the tutorial algorithms. A lot of questions you may have (how do I search a universe of stocks [like you alluded to in your post]? how do I import external data? etc.). The QC University can be accessed through the left hand side of the Backtester.
3.) I'd also download a copy of the Lean engine. The entire QC engine (the backtester) is completely open source, so if you'd like to open it in Visual Studio and use its Intellisense to backtrack to the core engine and see all of the methods available to you (which are all very well commented), that might help a lot.
4.) Finally, don't be shy to ask questions here on the forums! 99% of my questions have been answered here; the community is very helpful.

To get you started on your initial goal, I'd check out the Coarse Universe algorithm (stickied to the top of the forum), which can find x% of stocks within the entire universe based on your own personal logic (in your case relative volume). That algorithm in particular searches the entire universe of stocks and picks the top five that exhibit the greatest delta between their fast and slow EMA signals.

Welcome again, and good luck! :-)

Update Backtest

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

This discussion is closed