I'm trying to get two functions to alternate their execution during market hours only. The premise is to update total portfolio values and compare them to the previous close total portfolio values and log that daily performance.  I've attached the code.

import numpy as np import pandas as pd from datetime import datetime, timedelta from System import * from QuantConnect import * from QuantConnect.Algorithm import * from QuantConnect.Data.Market import TradeBar class BasicTemplateAlgorithm(QCAlgorithm): '''High beta strategy''' def Initialize(self): '''Initialise the data and resolution required, as well as the cash and start-end dates for your algorithm. All algorithms must initialize.''' #Initial investment and backtest period self.SetStartDate(2019,2,25) #Set Start Date self.SetEndDate(2019,2,27) #Set End Date self.SetCash(10000) #Set Strategy Cash #Capture initial investment for risk off purposes self.ClosingPortValue = self.Portfolio.TotalPortfolioValue self.CurrentPortValue = self.Portfolio.TotalPortfolioValue self.CurrentHoldValue = self.Portfolio.TotalHoldingsValue #Universe self.AddEquity("SPY", Resolution.Daily) '''Schedule Function Here''' self.Schedule.On(self.DateRules.EveryDay("SPY"), self.TimeRules.Every(TimeSpan.FromMinutes(6)), self.UpdatePortValues) self.Schedule.On(self.DateRules.EveryDay("SPY"), self.TimeRules.Every(TimeSpan.FromMinutes(7)), self.CheckDailyLosses) '''Set Warmup Here''' self.SetWarmup(TimeSpan.FromDays(30)) #OnData def OnData(self, data): '''OnData event is the primary entry point for your algorithm. Each new data point will be pumped in here.''' '''Arguments: data: Slice object keyed by symbol containing the stock data''' #Verify all indicators have warmed up before anything happens if self.IsWarmingUp: return self.SetHoldings("SPY", 0.10) #Update Portfolio Values def UpdatePortValues(self): self.marginRemaining = self.Portfolio.MarginRemaining self.CurrentPortValue = self.Portfolio.TotalPortfolioValue self.CurrentHoldValue = self.Portfolio.TotalHoldingsValue self.Log("Portfolio Values Have Been Updated") #CheckLosses #Check intraday losses and run defensive function if a 5.6% drop is recognized def CheckDailyLosses(self): self.CurrentPerformance = round( ((float(self.CurrentPortValue)/float(self.ClosingPortValue))-1)*100,2) if (self.CurrentPortValue <= self.ClosingPortValue*0.90): if(self.IsMarketOpen("SPY")): self.HighLosses() else: self.Log("Current Performance: {0}%".format(self.CurrentPerformance)) return

However, when I check my logs what I see is portfolio values being updated after the warmup followed by sequential firing of the CheckDailyLosses() method.  This is then followed by sequential firing of the UpdatePortValues() method and it repeats into infinity in this pattern.

When I apply this to a more sophisticated algorithm, what I want to see is this portfolio performance check happening sandwhiched in between my morning and closing scheduled events in an alternating sequence.  

Can anyone shine light onto why this is performing in this manner?  I've combed through the documentation and tutorials and to my knowledge my schduled events are saying, "Every day that SPY is trading run these methods every 6 and 7 minutes respectively".  If possible, I would also only like these methods to fire during market hours.

Thank you in advance.  I've also attached a copy of the backtest although it doesn't display the logs.  

Author