Back

Custom data for the web platform

Hi Team,

I am new to QuantConnect.

I am running lean from visual studio on custom data in a csv file. Is there a way I can load this custom data to the website platform so I can make use of the charts?

Also, I tried to get the Java charts working on my desktop but to no avail. Would you please be so kind as to point me in the right direction or to provide an example as to how to create the charting from the desktop version?

Kind regards
Jacques Joubert

https://za.linkedin.com/in/jacquesjoubert
Update Backtest

Hi Jacques,

There are a couple ways you could go about doing this.

There is a charting option supplied by microsoft thats available from the WPF toolkit. https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Samples-Environments-for-b01e9c61#content.

There are also some other charting libraries, but from what ive found the c# charting libraries are either not very pretty, or you have to pay for them.

If you aren't against exporting your charts to another language, I would recommend checking out Matplotlib in python. http://matplotlib.org/index.html
Its open source and really easy to implement. The docs are realy good so you shouldnt have a problem. If you want to get really fancy you can even run your python charting script in C# with IronPython.

Hey @Jacques, welcome to QuantConnect!

Loading custom data from a csv is fairly simple. Check out the 'QCU How Do I Use Bitcoin Data?' for an example of loading a remote file for backtesting. You'll need to put your csv on the cloud at dropbox or something similar and then just tell the LEAN engine how to get to it. Once that's all set up, you can use the web IDE for charting!

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding charting in the web IDE!

As for getting charting working on the desktop, that's a slightly larger task. Check out the LEAN google group for more information: this thread.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Update Backtest

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

This discussion is closed