Hi, I struggled with options in research environment for a somewhile. I see some other guys stumble a bit as me .. Here is a template of how I managed to use it:

# Say, today is 20th of Apr 2020 and time is 10:30 # I want prices of 'SPY' at-the-money (ATM) options with expiry on 24th of April 2020 stock = "SPY" today = "2020-04-20" exp = "2020-04-24" ### Initialization from clr import AddReference AddReference("System") AddReference("QuantConnect.Common") AddReference("QuantConnect.Jupyter") AddReference("QuantConnect.Indicators") from System import * from QuantConnect import * from QuantConnect.Data.Market import TradeBar, QuoteBar from QuantConnect.Jupyter import * from QuantConnect.Indicators import * from datetime import datetime, timedelta import matplotlib.pyplot as plt import pandas as pd qb = QuantBook() security = qb.AddEquity(stock) security.SetDataNormalizationMode(DataNormalizationMode.Raw) security_opt = qb.AddOption(stock, Resolution.Minute) ### Logic # I need to change that into datetime format and add time of the day time = datetime.strptime(today, '%Y-%m-%d') + timedelta(hours=10, minutes=30) expiry = datetime.strptime(exp, '%Y-%m-%d').replace(hour=0, minute=0) # Now I need to get current SPY price and round it to ATM strike. # To do that, we pull SPY price history for the last 1 min: startOpt = time endOpt = startOpt + timedelta(minutes=1) secPrice = float(qb.History(security.Symbol, startOpt, endOpt, Resolution.Minute).close) strike = round(secPrice) print(f"Current SPY price is: {secPrice}, our ATM strike will be: {strike}") # ---- Get options history -------- # First set your options filter. Here I chose 2 strikes into both sides from ATM # and expiration from today to 7 days ahead (so our expiration date surely gets there) security_opt.SetFilter(lambda universe: universe.IncludeWeeklys().Strikes(-2, 2).Expiration(timedelta(0), timedelta(4)) ) startOpt = time endOpt = startOpt + timedelta(minutes=1) security_option_history = qb.GetOptionHistory(security_opt.Symbol, startOpt, endOpt) data = security_option_history.GetAllData() # To visualize the data, you may print it. # print(data) ## Once updated data is available, you could use a boolean accessor to find ## the options with expiry and assign them to a new DataFrame 'df' boolean = data.index.get_level_values('expiry') == expiry dfInit = data.loc[boolean].sort_index() boolean_close = dfInit.index.get_level_values('strike') == strike df = dfInit.loc[boolean_close] df # Here, depending on what you want, you choose which particular item needed. # Say if you plan to simulate market BUY of options, you want to choose # average of 'askclose' and 'askopen' fields idx=0 call_price = (df.iloc[idx,0] + df.iloc[idx,3]) / 2 put_price = (df.iloc[idx+1,0] + df.iloc[idx+1,3]) / 2 print(f"CALL price: {call_price}, PUT price: {put_price}")

I'm not the programmer, so it could probably been done better. But it worked for me :))

Author