Intro
Alpha authors may wonder which aspects to optimize for when creating an alpha-generating algorithm in order to maximize ‘commercial success’ in the Alpha Market. Alpha subscribers may wonder which factors others typically base their subscription decisions on.

To identify success factors or key decision drivers in the Alpha Market, we can estimate a model that tries to explain whether or not a strategy is subscribed, considering multiple possible drivers. Below is the estimation output of a Probit model that predicts subscription based on the factors listed in the Alpha Market overview table, specifically: Sharpe, Drawdown, Live (i.e., number of days with live track record), CAGR, Turnover, Trades per Day, and Information Ratio. PSR is excluded since it is highly correlated (> 80%) with Sharpe, so that the included variable captures the excluded variable almost completely.

Speculation regarding drivers

• Sharpe, CAGR, and Information Ratio: These are key portfolio success metrics, i.e. a positive effect is anticipated (= the more the better).
  • Drawdown: An indicator of portfolio risk, i.e. a negative effect is anticipated (= the less the better).
  • Turnover and Trades per Day: Could be seen as negative by some, since greater turnover means higher transaction costs. However, others may see greater turnover as positive since it can indicate a strategy that is more responsive to market conditions.
  • Live: A positive thing in general, since a longer live trading track record reduces information asymmetry regarding the extent to which a strategy replicates out of sample. However, possible subscribers may like or not like what they see, so the effect could go either way.

Insights
The key subscription drivers seem to be a higher Sharpe and CAGR (statistically significant at p < 0.05). The results indicate that Live (extent of a live track record), Drawdown, Turnover, and Trades per Day do not systematically affect the subscription decision.

Limitations and possible improvements
The results are descriptive (‘how things currently are’) and neither normative (‘how things should be’) nor predictive (‘how things might be in the future’). Insights are from the cross-section (i.e., one snapshot) of the currently listed strategies in the Alpha Market, i.e. the 165 strategies with available data on all of the considered factors. 
Brainstorming regarding possible improvements of the approach:

• track the Alpha Market over time (e.g., using monthly data snapshots to estimate the model)
  • consider additional factors (e.g., aspects regarding the alpha description or author background)
  • model the subscription amount

Estimation results.

119316_1627230801.jpg