Back

New Members - Say Hello!

This was just created for fun for new people to say hello! Don't be shy reach out and let us know who you are and how we can help you :)
Update Backtest

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Hello everyone! My name is Kai, I've worked in IB for several years with a side passion for technology, coding and pattern recognition. The combination of these passions has led me right into algorithmic model creation and I'm currently working towards completing my first model.

Look forward to meeting others and building my knowledge here!

I am joyanta. Abnormal Returns made me come here. My coding experience in C# in banks and hedge funds. I am interesting in getting more interested in quant analysis.

Feel to connect with me dk.linkedin.com/pub/joyanta-raksmith/3/878/ab6/

Joyanta

Hello, nice to meet you all! My name is Seth and I've come to QC from the SEO side of things. I have followed big data become more and more prevalent in my work and read about a Twitter based hedge fund which got me interested in working in algo model creation.

Welcome @Kai, @joyanta, @Seth! Thanks for signing up and helping us build QC.

cheers

Cheers, but the simulator is extremely slow when open from BJ, i suppose you guys are adding more server on this?

Welcome @Robin! Traffic's been busy today. I doubled up cluster size, see if that makes a difference? Do you mind describing use-case for me? (offline if you'd prefer -- jared@quantconnect.com)

Perhaps we need a server near China :)

back again!!!

Hi all. I consider myself a seasoned technical analyst but when it comes to algorithms I'm lost. But I hope to change that by interacting on this site. Looking forward to learning ...

Heya, figured I'd better check this backtester out as well, I've played around with Quantopian for a few months and done professional discretionary trading in the past. My day job is C++ development with regards to derivatives pricing.

Looking forward to checking it all out!

Welcome @Don! Hopefully the backtester will help you learn :) We need to write some tutorials but its been so flat out we just haven't had time!

Welcome @Simon :) Hopefully we stack up better. We have a GIT API -- I'll throw a free license your way if you're interested in playing with it?

With the GIT API you code locally in your own IDE, compile locally - commit code via git, and get backtest results by email later

Yeah sure -- I assume I'll have to get a visual studio set up then? (don't normally work in windows at home)

No notepad is fine, you can test it compiles with Mono in Mac.
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Visual studio has a really nice auto-complete which is why I use it, but if you have your own coding environment that works as well.

Hello All...

For a while now I've been looking to find some type of 'black box' mechanism for trading. I've been involved in technical analysis for a while and would really love to get something up and running. I find this site and immediately I get excited b/c 'this is it.' I notice C# is the initial programming language which is my first impetus on actually finding out what that is and all the details. Low and behold it's a higher level C lang dev by MSFT with some similarities to Excel VBA. It will be a challenge to learn C# from noob to yoda but 'this is it!' Look forward to learning!

:D Welcome @Neil! We're all noobs too so you're in good company. We're launching with C# and its a very powerful language to learn. We'll add other languages very soon, its mostly a matter of finding time to sit down and add the multi-language support.

Hello all. I'm Tom and have experience with discretionary trading and technical analysis. I have fooled around with backtesting a few times, but never coded algorithms. I expect to learn a lot or be disappointed.

Welcome @Tom! :) You seem to have the options covered. Hopefully we can help you learn a thing or two. We're launching a built in IDE tutorial soon which will step you through the IDE but if you need anything just reach out here and we'd be happy to help

Welcome @Tom! If You need some help just ask in the forum, we will be happy to help :D

@ Jared Hi Im from your little old town of New Plymouth and they ran an article about you and this site this morning. What can you tell a poor pleb who knows nothing about what you do. What can you do for a beginner. Is this going to make someone money? How much money do you have to invest. Or is this just for the big punters out there? Well done by the way and an old NPBHS aye my son is currently second year in the top class I hope he goes on to do big things like you have :) Cheers

Hi @Ro! Welcome and thank you for the kind words. Here people design investments in software code to predict markets and manage risk. If you're not an engineer its tough to participate at the moment but we'll try making strategies available to investors in 2014.

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed