Back

Issues with the Visual Studio Plugin

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks to everyone for the product, and second - I have some issues with that.

1. The Quant Connect Visual Studio plug-in crashes the Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Update 4 (I tried on several laptops) - on opening of the project, on running a back-test from the Visual Studio. The things working are: the authorization, the listing of the available projects, the creation of the new project (which I can't open later), and the saving of the project to the server. As a result, it makes the whole Quant Connect unusable for me.

2. After I created a project from the Visual Studio, and saved that to the server (from the Visual Studio), and I have that project open in the web-browser, if I press F5 to refresh the page to see the changes I uploaded, the updated page goes to the Recent tab. It must stick to the current project, otherwise I do 3 extra actions to open the back-test tab, find the project and open that.

There are also other minor issues, if the feedback will taken into account, I will describe that later.

Regards,
Sergey
Update Backtest

Happy New Year :)

The current visual studio plugin is community generated and in pre-release/very much beta. I wouldn't recommend using it yet for anything other than coding. We're open sourcing the engine so you can run the whole backtest locally on your PC and even step through the engine internals. Once we have the engine open sourced we'll release a new quantconnect version of the plugin which pulls in the Lean Engine.

I'd recommend sending bug reports to the Github Issues page - and if you have general feedback on the website feel free to contact us - jared@quantconnect.com. We are very receptive to feedback and integrate things which make sense within a week or so.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Hello Jared,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

If the the engine will be open-sourced and be running on the local PC, do I need to purchase the historic data for the back-testing, or that will be fetched for free by the engine?

Regards,
Sergey

Hey Sergey -- we can't fetch data unfortunately because of provider restrictions, but we are providing a small sample of data (1 week) to get it immediately working locally from your PC as soon as you open the project.

You don't need to purchase data however - if you have your own data source you can plug it into QC and it will work fine. It reads local ZIPs and CSVs; or if you have it in a database it will be a few lines of code to connect and pull from your particular source.

If you did want to purchase from QuantQuote its very affordable (roughly $10/symbol/year, $25 min). You could get 2 years of SPY S&P500 ETF for $25 :). There's no affiliation with QuantConnect.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

@Sergey - We just pushed a new build of the IDE with hash-tag navigation. This means the project you had open will be remembered after a browser refresh and it will load automatically. Thank you for your feedback!

Brilliant! Thanks a lot.

Can someone tells how to run LEAN locally in Visual Studio and get backtest results and charts locally? Many kudos!

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed