With the World Cup finals quickly approaching, I thought it would be interesting to develop a trading strategy involving World Cup data. Realistically, a national football team’s victory will not change the direction of its country’s economy, but maybe something could be said about the companies sponsoring the event. 

I decided to make an algorithm using QuantConnect’s data that would hold the companies involved in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. My reasoning to this theory is that as the most widely viewed event in history, the FIFA World Cup provides a marketing platform for sponsors like no other. Companies with the capital and growth potential will be attracted to the exposure, which will hopefully lead to more revenue, and consequently higher share prices. 

This algorithm considers top American sponsors of the FIFA organization. FIFA's commercial hierarchy comprises six FIFA Partners, eight FIFA World Cup Sponsors, and six National Supporters, a set of 14 companies to choose from. The companies are held while they work with FIFA. As positive as the results look, it is safe to say that correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Here are a few of the links that got me started on this strategy: FIFA Partners official page, fact sheet on previous sponsors, massive bids for broadcasting rights and US Soccer sponsors.

Author