I am trying to get the ATR from symbols within a universe for position sizing. I have attached a snippet of the two different methods I have tried for this. I keep receiving the error : Runtime Error: AverageTrueRange does not support Update(DateTime, decimal) method overload. Use Update(IBaseDataBar) instead.

Any suggestions on how to do this? I can't attached a backtest because of the error, but I am referencing these in the onData block.

//First attempt at getting ATR from the universe private class SelectionData { // variables you need for selection public readonly RateOfChangePercent rocp; public readonly AverageTrueRange atr; // initialize your variables and indicators. public SelectionData(int period) { rocp = new RateOfChangePercent(period); atr = new AverageTrueRange(30); } // update your variables and indicators with the latest data. // you may also want to use the History API here. public bool Update(DateTime time, decimal value) { return rocp.Update(time, value) && atr.Update(time, value); } } //Second attempt to retreive ATR from the universe public decimal GetATR(Symbol symbol, int windowSize) { //validate that the security is in the universe if (!Securities.ContainsKey(symbol)) return 0; IEnumerable<TradeBar> bars = History<TradeBar>(symbol, TimeSpan.FromDays(7), Resolution.Daily); AverageTrueRange atr; atr = ATR(symbol, windowSize, MovingAverageType.Simple, Resolution.Daily); foreach (var bar in bars) { atr.Update(bar.EndTime, bar.Close); } decimal o = atr.Current; return o; }

Author