I'm trying to implement some custom indicators, but I'm new to the platform so I don't have a full understanding of best practices and design patterns and how they will affect the overall development of my algorithm.

Say I have 3 indicators which are stateful and dependent upon each other:

Indicator A: 

• uses a RollingWindow of TradeBars of the symbol
  • generates a single value

Indicator B:

• uses a RollingWindow of Indicator A
  • generates two separate values
  • uses RollingWindows of both of its previous values

Indicator C:

• uses a RollingWindow of Indicator A
  • uses RollingWindows of both values from Indicator B
  • generates a single value
  • uses a RollingWindow of its own previous value

(Note: I'm simplifying here with a hypothetical use case. My actual indicators could use more than two dependencies, that are shared by more than one other indicator, however I do know I won't have any circular dependencies) 

The Alpha part of my algo uses the values generated by both B and C.  I haven't decided whether to create multiple AlphaModels for each indicator and then distill the generated Insights downstream in Portfolio Construction, or just use a single AlphaModel that produces a single Insight. 

For a multi-AlphaModel design, I'd have to create and register each of the indicators in the top-level algorithm, and pass the indicator instances as constructor args to the individual AlphaModels, and then to the indicators themselves.  I like that it's composable, concerns are separated and it's easier to share, scaffold, and test. However, I'd be relying on the framework to call Update on each of them.  Can I be sure in each iteration that Update will have been called in a reliable order (in this case A before B before C)?  And are there any concerns about sharing stateful instances of indicators? 

In a single-AlphaModel design I'd just create an Instance of C, which internally creates an instance of B, and B would create it's own internal instance of A.  Each would call Update on its internal dependencies, and expose them as publicly accessible members to clients.  This seems to be how some of the existing indicators work, but to be honest seems a little messy becuase it breaks the expected interface of the Indicator, and requires the clients to know about the internal dependencies.  It could also be a performance concern because each indiicator would be storing redundanct copies of the data. 

I'd like to do this in Python, as I've never worked with C#, but I'll learn it if it's better suited for a desgin like this (especially if I can just code the indicators in C# and the rest of the algo in Python).  I see there are CompositeIndicator and FunctionalIndicator classes in C#. 

Any guidance on my approach/methodology would be greatly appreciated! 

Author