Back

What are the very basic algorithms that every Computer Science student must be aware of?

As a student as well as a coder, I'm looking for a holistic empirical view here. From the beginning for ATS through to today, what are some landmark and historically significant algorithms that I should be aware of? By name would be ideal.
Update Backtest

Hey Kai, I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this one but I'd start with the ones we describe in our infographic -- as there are only a few basic types which get iterated and shuffled in different ways:

https://www.quantconnect.com/email/130117-QuantConnectInfoGraphic.pdf

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

That's a great infographic, many thanks Jared. Super educational, you guys should publish more of these, visuals are ideal.

My first expose to algorithms was the idea that market making is largely the job of algorithms (HFT) many computer science students have a difficult time understanding markets in general and market making specifically. If I were a new CS student, I would learn about how algos play the market making game and the strategies they use, speeds, technologies, models etc.. Interesting field and hugely influential.
Simon Burns

Ok yeah, that's a good start. You're right that market making is big for algos, I'm looking for a list of templates or basic types of algorithms in use. Sort of a 101 on learning about/teaching a new CS student the algorithmic space.

There is a piece on Non-Market Data that will be launching on Wednesday about basic correlations found in the market and may be of interest to someone coming from the CS field! Keep an eye out!

Update Backtest

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

This discussion is closed