Back

Order Questions

Hi,

I would like to know what is the difference between StopMarketOrder to LimitOrder,
looking at their arguments, the only difference is the name of the third: stopPrice vs limitPrice,
the StopMarketOrder is not related to another order.

Another question
There is an event of Filled when price catch the StopMarketOrder or LimitOrder price?

Thanks,
Eran
Update Backtest

A stop order prevents you from losing any more money - it's the price at which you have lost hope for this trade being profitable. A limit order is when you want to cash out and collect the profit.

Thanks Chad,

I know what the definition of stop and limit in trading in general,
but in QC the stop is not related to the trade, it's a different trade that influence your holdings for the current security if its reached the stop price, exactly like the limit does.

The key difference is that a limit order will only fill at or better than the price you set -- even if it only partially fills, vs a market order which will fill at whatever is available once your target is set.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Thanks Jared
Now it's clear.

Hi, I have a followup question. Apologies if the answer is available somewhere in docs. this is for US equities. If I submit a market order, what are the assumptions on being filled? I'm doing 1 Minute resolution. If I'm buying am I buying at best offer, second best etc?
thanks in advance,
Marc

We don't have quote data at the moment @Marc, so the assumption is you fill at the same price as the last trade. This works fine for liquid equities but if you're working on low volume stocks you might want to include a slippage factor to your algorithm.

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed