Back

When running LEAN locally, is it possible to source data from QuantConnect?

I was just browsing around, and it looks like the data feeds you get with LEAN aren't as complete/detailed as what you can get running QuantConnect in their cloud environment?

I was hoping to have a workflow that looks like this:

1) Develop/backtest purely locally, source data from QuantConnect
2) Deploy onto QuantConnect
3) Trade live on QuantConnect

So ideally, I wouldn't have to host/run my own infra, but can develop locally for the speed (I find the online IDE really slow) 

Update Backtest

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Hi Kevin! Data can't leave QuantConnect; but you can: 

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by QuantConnect. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. QuantConnect makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. You should consult with an investment professional before making any investment decisions.

Thanks for the fast response! The VS plugin looks the most promising for my desried workflow. I guess there's no such plugin for VS code or any other editors/IDEs? I develop on linux, and would prefer to avoid using Windows if possible.

We have an electron app which is cross-platform and is effectively a dropbox style sync to the cloud which would suit your needs. Its almost done! Link Liang is just doing the login part now.

Update Backtest

This discussion is closed